Saturday, May 22, 2010

Parkfun Fusion - First FPV test - Nokia 6120c

Yey, my first FPV test. Taped the Nokia 6120c on top of the plane at the COG.

The phone weighs 90g.

Flew well without any problems, so it's time to upgrade the camera to the next level!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Parkfun Fusion - Broke my nose off

Well, after glueing it all back together and flying successfully for a few days, I got cocky and started showing my wife how nicely it hovered in the strong headwind....until the headwind died...

I glued it back on again with even more Epoxy, and added three carbon strips for extra strength.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

New stuff arrived

Today I recieved a new box from ElectronicaRC. I must say, they are actually quite fast.

In the box i found the LCD screen for my ground station.

It's really slick and intended for mounting on a wall or similar which suits me fine.

Very thin which means that it won't take up much space.

Also in the box was the two microsensors from EagleTree for the OSD Pro - altimeter and airspeed indicator.

Very small and light. A pitot tube was included in the airspeed package.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Repaired and airborne

After using a whole dual tube of Expoy, I have fixed my Fusion and flew it this morning.

I originally crashed because I was stupidly performing dive/climb manoeuvres that made the wings bend far too much. The whole thing nearly fell apart in mid air. On my last dive, I couldn't pull up enough, so the plane ate dirt.

As you can see, I have added carbon strips to the wings to make them more rigid. They really made a great difference this morning.

Now it's time to test fly with 100g of weight on the front for training before I buy a camera and stick it on.

Sunday, May 9, 2010


I will be using a lot of Epoxy tomorrow!

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Whooohaaaa - goggles working

Now I've done the mod on the Trimersion goggles. Thanks aaronredbaron for great instructions. I de-soldered the gyro and soldered wires for audio and video directly on to the board. I used an old firewire cable, which did come very much in handy because it has 6 wires into 1. I've just made a test now, I'm waiting for Elfa to re-stock firewire cable (4,5m) and a female jack that I'm gonna use in the ground station.

Gyro and antenna is gone. I added some tape to get the wires out of the way.

This is the wires added to the board:
- red: power
- black: ground
- blue: common ground for audio and video
- brown: video
- green: audio right
- white: audio left

Friday, May 7, 2010

Another purchase

Ok, I've done it again. This time I needed to complete my onboard equipment and the ground station.

First up is the altimeter microsensor that connects to the eLogger. It uses barometic pressure for correct indications.

I also added the airspeed indicator which uses a pitot tube to measure airspeed. It also connects to the eLogger.

This screen seems to fit good into my ground station. I'm gonna use it for initial setup and pre-flight check when I'm at the field.

Back to school

After like 20 years of not being in school I've been "forced" to actually study again. I'm gonna take the test to get an amateur radio license which you have to have in order to operate on the 1,3GHz frequency that my video gear use.

The test is about 40 questions on electronics, ohms, watts and rules and regulations around radio etc. Since I don't have this knowledge from before (took economics in school) it's a whole new area for me. I'm not too sure I'm gonna pass, but I'll give it a shot.

If you live in Sweden and want to take the test the browse to SSA - Sveriges Sändareamatörer for more info on how to contact your local radio club.

Parkfun Fusion Brushless Motor Mod

Converted a stock (400 type motor) Parkfun Fusion into a brushless and reliable aerial photography platform. It's a 4-channel copy of the EasyStar with functional ailerons. Hope to move towards FPV if I don't have any bad accidents!

Plane: Parkfun Fusion
Servos: 4 Hitec HS-55 feather servos
Transmitter: Hitec Optic 6
Receiver: Hitec Micro 05S
Motor: HXT 2835 (380S) 2200kv Brushless Inrunner
ESC: TowerPro w25A Brushless Speed Controller
Prop: TGS Sport 6x4E Precision propeller
Prop adapter/Spinner: Alu cone 1/4-28-3.2mm
Flight battery: Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack
Navigation lights: Turnigy R/C LED Lighting System
Magnets holding wings: Strong Rare Earth magnets (10pcs/set)

The receiver and transmitter were changed to ensure a reliable control connection.

Electronics before and after.

Prop with motor before and after.

New spinner and prop.

Had to cut off nose to remove big bastard weight. Glued back on with Component Epoxy.

First test of brushless motor

Time for test flight now. If nothing goes wrong, I'll find a camera to stick on!